The The Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship was established as a specialised unit at the UCT Graduate School of Business (GSB) in 2011, in partnership with the Bertha Foundation a family foundation that works with inspiring leaders who are catalysts for social and economic change.
Through this partnership the GSB strengthens its commitment to transformation and equality and UCT’s strategic goal to address key development challenges facing Africa.
The Bertha Foundation supports activists, storytellers and lawyers across the world, who are working to bring about social and economic justice, and human rights for all. The Bertha Scholars at the GSB are part of this global Bertha Foundation network.
What does the scholarship offer?
The Bertha Scholarship covers full or partial costs of a wide variety of programmes at the UCT Graduate School of Business. These include the MBA (both full-time and the modular programme) and the MPhil in Inclusive Innovation
Who does the scholarship seek to support?
The Bertha scholarship is open to innovators, entrepreneurs, out-of-the-box thinkers, system-entrepreneurs, change-makers, social activists and cross-disciplinary candidates from any field provided they are actively involved in the exploration of social, environmental and/or economic justice using innovative approaches. In doing this, we aim to diversify the student body at the GSB, investing in their journey to increase their social impact as their career evolves.
Am I eligible?
You are eligible for a Bertha Scholarship:
- if you are an African citizen or permanent resident
- if you have started or worked with a social/green/entrepreneurial innovative idea that seeks social or economic change
- if you have worked on advancing social justice and pioneering inclusive opportunities through social innovation within an organisation
- if you demonstrate strong leadership qualities within your field
- if you meet the admission requirements of the university for your selected course of study.
If you are interested, follow these steps to apply
- Submit your MBA or MPhil in Inclusive Innovation programme application before the respective deadlines to the GSB.
- Submit the GSB Scholarship Application Form which should include:
- Your UCT GSB application number received from the GSB Admissions Office
- Your contact details and your CV uploaded
- Your answers to the three essay questions, which shows how the degree programme at this stage in your career will help to accelerate impact in your area of work/interest and how it will contribute to society as a whole.
- Your short [no longer than four minute] video.
- In the choice of scholarship on the application form, remember to select the option for Focus on Social Innovation & Social Entrepreneurship (Bertha Scholarship).
- Subject to change.
Applications are currently open until 31 October 2017.
Interviews will take place on 28 or 29 November 2017.