The award recognizes outstanding international undergraduate students from impoverished or war-torn areas who have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances, and who would be unable to attend university without financial assistance.
The value of the award is proportional to demonstrated financial need and enough to cover tuition costs for your program of study, including living expenses.
The Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award can be renewed for up to three additional years of undergraduate study or to degree completion, whichever is less. Your award may be renewed provided you achieve satisfactory academic standing in your faculty, continue to demonstrate financial need, and maintain your Canadian study permit (student visa).
To be considered for the Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award, you must:
- be an international student – neither a Canadian citizen nor a permanent resident of Canada – who will be studying in Canada on a Canadian study permit (student visa)
- come from a war-torn, or politically unstable region of the world, and/or from an economically disadvantaged region of the world
- have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances, with no financial means from family or other sources to pursue post-secondary education (neither in your own country because it is unavailable or unattainable, nor outside your country because it is unaffordable)
- be graduating or have recently graduated from a recognized senior secondary school
- be applying for your first undergraduate degree
- be able to demonstrate superior academic achievement (at least an “A” average or equivalent standard) and leadership potential
Nominations for the 2018/19 academic year are now closed. If you have submitted a nomination package, we will send an email to confirm receipt of your nomination package by January 31, 2018. Due to the volume of nominations received, we are unable to respond to individual inquiries regarding nomination package receipt and encourage you to use a tracked courier service if you require an earlier confirmation.
We encourage you to submit your application for admission to UBC early. This will ensure that you have an admission decision in time for award nomination consideration.
- Your nomination package must have been postmarked by November 15, 2017 .
- You must have completed the online application for academic admission to UBC no later than December 1, 2017 .
- You must meet UBC’s English Language Admission Standard by January 31, 2018 .
Although you can specify two degree choices in your application for admission, your award consideration will be based only on your first-choice degree.
If you have a question about UBC’s International Scholars Awards, you can contact us in the following ways.
By email: email@example.com
By telephone: 604.822.8999
The Administrator, International Scholars Program
International Student Initiative
The University of British Columbia
1200 – 1874 East Mall, Welcome Centre
Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6T 1Z1