Awards proportional to financial need. Financial need is determined by tuition, fees, and living costs, minus the financial contribution you and your family can make annually. A standard needs-assessment is based on the financial information provided by you and your family.
The International Leader of Tomorrow Award can be renewed for up to three additional years of undergraduate study or to degree completion, whichever is less. Your award may be renewed provided you achieve satisfactory academic standing in your faculty, continue to demonstrate financial need, and maintain your Canadian study permit (student visa).
To be considered for an International Leader of Tomorrow Award, you must:
- be applying for your first undergraduate degree
- be admissible to the first-choice degree you are applying to, including meeting UBC’s English Language Admission Standard
- have an excellent academic record (at least an “A” average or equivalent standard)
- be an international student – neither a Canadian citizen nor a permanent resident of Canada – who will be studying in Canada on a Canadian study permit (student visa)
- demonstrate a level of financial need that would otherwise prevent you from pursuing a UBC degree
- be entering a UBC undergraduate degree program from a recognized secondary school, college, or other university
Nominations for the 2018/19 academic year are now closed. If you have submitted a nomination package, we will send an email to confirm receipt of your nomination package by January 31, 2018. Due to the volume of nominations received, we are unable to respond to individual inquiries regarding nomination package receipt and encourage you to use a tracked courier service if you require an earlier confirmation.
We encourage you to submit your application for admission to UBC early. This will ensure that you have an admission decision in time for award nomination consideration.
- Your nomination package must have been postmarked by November 15, 2017 .
- You must have completed the online application for academic admission to UBC no later than December 1, 2017 .
- You must meet UBC’s English Language Admission Standard by January 31, 2018 .
Although you can specify two degree choices in your application for admission, your award consideration will be based only on your first-choice degree.
If you have a question about UBC’s International Scholars Awards, you can contact us in the following ways.
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By telephone: 604.822.8999
The Administrator, International Scholars Program
International Student Initiative
The University of British Columbia
1200 – 1874 East Mall, Welcome Centre
Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6T 1Z1